Today, I have SARA buddy, Carla Caruso join me in the Taverna. Carla is a sweet lady who doesn't seem to say a bad word about anybody. She also knows how to keep a secret as her book City Glitter was one of those at the Destiny Romance launch last year at Diamonds Are Forever conference and she we at SARA didn't know. It was top sekrit!
Today, Carla talks about travelling back in time, and I'm a sucker for a good time travel story. Take it away, Carla....
Travelling back in time
by Carla Caruso
My latest novel, Second Chance, out through Destiny Romance in February, involves 90s time travel pre-Facebook. Can you believe it’s been more than 20 years since the start of the decade? The pangs for the era are already being felt with 90s stars like J-Lo doing sell-out comeback tours and Brian Austin Green returning to our screens on Wedding Band.
The book’s premise? After a disastrous 36th birthday, Flora wishes she could be 20 again and delete all her romantic mistakes. She wakes to find she has gone back in time, but things don’t go to plan.
Here are some other films and books I “heart” involving time travel (I’m a bit of a sucker for them actually!)…
• Back to the Future. It would be remiss of me not to mention this Michael J. Fox trilogy. Much-loved from the film was its fictional hover-board – Aussie rapper Seth Sentry even penned a ditty about science’s lack of progress regarding the invention. Social media hoaxes have tried to have us believe the iconic scene when Doc sets the DeLorean to a future date has already happened, but it’ll actually occur on October 21, 2015.
• Hot Tub Time Machine. Eighties clothing, Bobby Brown-style ‘dos and John Cusack – what’s not to love? This one involves a malfunctioning hot tub and a group of guys who must relive a fateful night and not change a thing.
• Peggy Sue Got Married. This eighties flick sees Peggy (Kathleen Turner) faint at her high school reunion, waking to find herself in her own past – just before she finished school.
• Fast Forward by Juliet Madison (Harlequin Escape). The perfect life as an international supermodel seems assured for Kelli Crawford until the morning of her 25th birthday when she wakes in the future as a 50-year-old suburban housewife – married to the high school nerd.
• Defiant Surrender by Tamara Gill (Crimson Romance). Unlucky in love, Maddie St. Clair hides behind an antique store and her mud-larking hobby until she finds a medieval ring. It throws her back to 1102 and into the life of an heiress about to be married to a baron 900 years her senior – yikes!
• The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (MacAdam/Cage). This first-time novelist’s love story, since turned into a film, follows a man with a genetic disorder, which causes him to time travel unpredictably, and his artist wife who must cope with his frequent absences and often dangerous experiences.
Carla Caruso is also the author of Cityglitter (Destiny Romance – www.destinyromance.com) about a gorgeous fairy living a glam life in the big city, who does the one thing she promised herself she’d never do: fall in love with a human. Plus, she has the short story, The Grass is Greener, out through AlfieDog.com.
I have some books to read it seems :)
Check out Carla's website at www.carlacaruso.com.au