Wednesday 25 April 2012

Lest We Forget




Last night, I was at the State Library for my studies, and when I came back onto the street, there was a gathering over at the SA War Memorial. It was an Anzac Day service but there was youth there so I thought it may have been a special service done by the youth of SA. And I was right. I just checked - apparently it was a Youth Vigil. Go the youth!

While I've never made it to an Anzac Day service, I do think of the ANZACS and all the soldiers who have given their lives to make Australia safe. I may have mentioned this before but when I travelled to Italy back in 2000, as part of my tour, we visited a Commonwealth cemetery. It was one of the most humbling and sobering experiences - seeing all those identical graves of young men who had died so far from home to protect their country.


Lest We Forget!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Eleni,

I confess to ignorance on this subject, WWI rings a bell, perhaps Ottoman Empire, but don't know the specifics. I know who the Kelly's are at least in Australian history, but will you educate me about Anzac? Is it like our memorial day? The post is lovely remembrance of soldiers here and fallen.

C.K. Garner

Eleni Konstantine said...

Hi C.K, thanks for visiting.

ANZAC - stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps which fought together at Gallipoli, Turkey in WWI. April 25 marks the anniversary of the first military action fought by our troops in WWI and the subsequent long and bloody campaign.

You can see a better wrap up of it on the Australian War Memorial site - http://www.awm.gov.au/commemoration/anzac/anzac_tradition.asp

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...