Friday 17 September 2010

GMC in reading

You writers know what I'm talking about when I say GMC right. But for those uninitiated it's Goals, Motivation, Conflict. Basically it's what a character wants, why they want it, and what stands in their way to get it.

Recently I realised that I had been my reading and people's opinions like this. So what have I been GMCing. I read a blog post by Urban Fantasy author and pal Erica Hayes on AussieCon 4 (aka WorldCon) and about how this con is different to our experiences in the romance writing community as people do say what they really think. In the comments section I said, yes but people don't back it up with why they don't like something.

I've been thinking about it for the last couple of days and I realise - why do we have to have a why? Why can't we like or not like something because it just wasn't our cup of tea without verbalising what that cup of tea is?

As a writer when I give feedback to another writer, I try to say the whys (what in my opinion works, doesn't work etc). But as a reader can't I just enjoy or dislike something? I think we can do this. It's like I love chocolate - I don't have to go into the whys of it. So I've become too analytical in one sense, and that's great for the writer in me but how about the fan in me?

An example, I enjoyed reading The Twilight Saga. Oh shock horror. It seems that it's cool to hate it, and people have their views which is their right. But why did I enjoy reading it? Firstly, I didn't know about the hype until after I'd read it, secondly I took it as a YA book, thirdly, I was swept away with story and the easy nature of the writing. Was it the best book I have ever read? - no, but it entertained me therefore it did it's job. So really it comes to not the why but how I came away from it - in this case I was entertained by the story.

I never used to consider the whys and was swept away from a work. So maybe I need to lose the writer hat when I read to enjoy. I can always go back to a work and analyse it for writing purposes.


See deep meaningful thoughts going on. Yes, my head does hurt, thanks for asking.


So do you think the whys are important when people say they don't like something?


~yia~

16 comments:

Fiona G said...

Hi Eleni

I agree being a writer sometimes ruins the writing experience because you look at technique. But I also think if we're critiquing there are two different "I don't likes" - I don't like certain types of books and I never will. It doesn't stop me critiquing, it means I am less likely to put my hand up to critique that type of fiction. But then there's the "this sentence is awkward" and I always try and put a why behind that, or "this character is cardboard cutout" with why. I guess anything to improve the writing, I would go with a why.

Complicated isn't it?

Mel Teshco said...

Eleni I've actually been trying hard to get out of the 'critique' mode when I read books, as by automatically doing so was spoiling reading for me. Thankfully I think I'm almost better (LOL - critique anonymous anyone??) and have started to really enjoy the simple pleasure of a story again. And I quite enjoyed the Twilight series - but more particularly The Host =)

Eleni Konstantine said...

Hey Fi,

Oh yes, there is there overall 'genre' or style we may not gravitate towards - or do. I love epic fantasies (as you know *wink*) but I do know that is not everyone else's cup of tea. I think with critting it's beneficial to say why if you can, so a writer can grow and learn. Interesting point. Thanks. :))

Eleni Konstantine said...

Hey Mel, LOL re critique anonymous. It probably does show that our writing brains do tune in more to the whys and the hows, but like you I'm going to go with the flow of a story and enjoy. It's not like I haven't enjoyed, it's that I've been thinking about the why I am enjoying it too much.

And I agree - I really enjoyed The Host too - I didn't know she could sustain the story but she did.

Erica Hayes said...

Hey Eleni!

So pleased I've inspired someone :)

A lot of people seem to equate 'I didn't like it' with 'it's crap' -- if I'm going to say something is crap, I think I can be expected to give reasons. Whereas like/dislike is more of a personal opinion and doesn't require justification. Unless you're a reviewer, in which case it's your job to explain your personal opinion :)

Eleni Konstantine said...

Good point Erica. Yes I think there is that difference of being indifferent and really hating something so much.
And thanks for making me think - :D

Christina Phillips said...

Interesting post, Eleni (and Erica!) I sometimes find it very hard to switch off my internal editor/CP when I read for pleasure which I find frustrating. And yes, very good point about how we can just not like something without also thinking it crap - wow, do you realise you've made me think very hard for a Sunday night!!!

Eleni Konstantine said...

Hey Christina, sorry to make you think hard. If I had to do it :)) Seriously, it was just an interesting topic and it's good to give my brain some exercise (well other than plotlines etc).

I also think that mood is an important factor, so I don't read certain books when in certain moods or frames of minds because I will not take to the story as much.

Anonymous said...

One of the most insightful writing books I have ever read is "Reading like a Writer" by Francine Prose. It teaches you to read critically - not so much for content as for all the things we writers want to include in our works. It totally changed the way I read - sometimes. Before I pick up a book, I decide if I am a writer or a reader, Same thing with films - am I a screenwriter or a member of the audience? Sure, it takes some of the magic out of the reading/viewing experience, but the benefits can be worth it when you pick up some amazing little lesson. I find I tend to read certain genres and study others, which helps as well.

BTW I sure do miss the Adelaide writing group here in Saudi. It's a lot harder to stay motivated with the support of so many great writers!

Lori Olson White

Eleni Konstantine said...

Hi Lori,

It's great to see you here! I've been wondering how you were going in Saudi.

Good point in how to approach a book or movie. I was just finding I was doing it all the time. Maybe I should that book your recommended. :)

Thanks for popping in.

Kathy from SARA said...

Hi Elini

I liked Twilight too although you could argue that, like Harry Potter, the writing could be improved technically. But that might destroy the author's voice and our reading experience. I agree with losing the writer's hat to be a good reader, that is, read in good faith to enjoy what the writer has done for us rather than picking what they couldn't do. Thanks for sticking up for an unpopular writer.

Kathy

Eleni Konstantine said...

Hi Kathy, great to see you here. (Go SARAs)

I think you are right about voice. Who is to say if one changes a work to be technically correct, it loses that which makes you want to read it. Good point.

Anonymous said...

Eleni, I agree with you; as a reader...no, the why's are unimportant.

As a writer--the whys are and are not important to me...when the book having been read is mine.

Yes, I'd like to know why someone didn't take to it, but the over-arching thought isn't why they didn't like it but simply that they didn't...

I can either take it and leave it, or I can look back on the book and think about how their reaction has relevance.

Dana

Nicky Strickland said...

Hey Eleni,

Always good when someone triggers a thought or six (well I love it when it happens *lol*).

I remember years ago when I was starting to dip my toe in this whole writing thing that my reading world will be changed and possibly ruined forever.....due to the analytical way I'd start to read. Without even realising it's happening.

Eleni Konstantine said...

Hey Dana,
Yes hindsight is a beautiful thing - always going to help the writing process. :))

And yes taking or leaving is a good way of looking at it.

Eleni Konstantine said...

Hey Nicky,

Oh yes, my poor little brain hurts now from all this thinking!! *wink*

I am the same, I didn't realise until it happened. Definitely a change though and not completely ruined - thank goodness!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...