Monday 21 April 2008

Easter....again?


This weekend marks the celebrations of Orthodox Easter, which is based on the Julian calender instead of the Gregorian (further info can be found at Wilkepedia).

Other than thinking of the resurrection of Christ, the two things I think of when I hear the word 'Easter' are - going to church for "midnight" mass and glorious food. So it was no wonder that I found a lovely explanation of Greek Orthodox traditions on the Greek Food page on the About.com site.

*Warning to
vegetarians- next paragraph contains references to meat*
I'm fasting from meat this week - so when Easter Sunday rolls around, I am craving it. Sorry vegetarians. We traditionally have a lamb on the spit and this year we are having a pig on the spit too. I remember when I was really young, before motorized spits, my papou (grandfather) used to turn the spit by hand. And the best way of eating is directly off of the spit. Absolutely delicious. Oh gosh, it's still a whole week away!!

It's battle stations in my house as we will be hosting the Easter Sunday lunch for my extended family. It's a wonderful time to get together and just enjoy the day . And in true Greek style, there will definitely be plenty of food and drink!!!

Kalo Pascha!
Yia!

7 comments:

Tracey O'Hara said...

YUMMO - I don't eat lamb, but Pig on the spit makes my mouth water.

but is sounds like you are going to have a great weekend. I can picture your granfather turning the spit - it's a much more romantic image that those moterised spits.

Have a great weekend and a great celebration.

Eleni Konstantine said...

Oh Tracey - thanks I do intend to have a great celebration.

I can't imagine NOT eating lamb especially growing up in my household. I have a friend whose allergic to lamb. Poor thing.

I'm sure papou's shoulder muscles would have disagree about the romantic image (LOL!) - though visually it is a cherished memory I have now that he no longer with us.

Trish Morey said...

Eleni, I've just eaten dinner and I"m hungry again! Sunday's feast sounds just wonderful. Lamb and pork on the spit - bring it on!

I love the idea of giving up meat in the week before. Talk about giving you a taste for it.

Eleni Konstantine said...

Hey Trish, another food lover -- I'm the one usually thinking about food after I've just eaten. Actually at Denise Rosetti's blog, there had been a topic of Tim-Tams not so long ago. You know what I did - went out and brought a packet and scoffed half in a sitting!!!

As for giving up the meat - I really should be giving up dairy, eggs and oil too in the strict sense of Holy Week (my yiayia- gran - actually did the whole Lent period) but I want to keep my options for my birthday tomorrow. LOL! Pathetic, I know ;)

Eleni Konstantine said...

actually make that today....it's one in the morning. LOL!

Sussan Marz said...

My sister-in-law's family is Romanian Orthodox, so we have a double Easter every year. I'm not religious but I do love religious celebrations as there tends to be great dining involved :-), especially lamb/pork on a spit. Yum!

Do you dye eggs as well? We partner up, smash eggs together to see whose egg stays intact the longest. The winner gets to take home a bag of chocolate easter eggs. Yum!

Eleni Konstantine said...

Hi Sussan, nice of you to visit.
We usually dye the eggs on Thursday. So I know what I'll be doing tomorrow! Unfortunately there is no prize for the person with the 'baddest' egg in our family. Then again there's plenty of food and desserts around....

Happy 2nd Easter to you and enjoy smashing those eggs and the yummy food. I intend too! *big grin*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...