Wednesday 19 March 2008

Heatwave and Technology

Adelaide was in the midst of a heat wave - 15 days with temperatures above 35degrees Celsius - that's 95 degrees Farenheit and above - the longest heatwave ever in recorded history in any Australian city. (South Australia is the driest state in the driest inhabited continent on the planet.)

Phew, let me tell you that's hot. Thank goodness for air conditioning. I think I would be a melted puddle on the floor right now if it wasn't for that . It has left me wondering about technology and how much we rely upon it in the 21st century. Electricity powers everything from the TV, stove, to this humble computer I am now typing at. I wonder how I would fair if I was to find myself in any of my fantasy story settings.

And the honest answer would be - not so good. I would get used to it as you do and learn new skills and ways but I would miss technology. I would miss ringing or emailing family or friends, watching TV programmes and movies, driving a car, listening to my fave music, going to the movies, using my digital camcorder, travelling to other countries or cities with relative ease -- and most of all, the vast availability of books. Bookstores are heaven on earth for me.

But that's not to say, I use technology for technology's sake but rather I have a respect for how technology can enrich our lives. It's a balance and I try to be as 'green' as I can.

What is the one piece of technology you think you wouldn't be able to live without?

4 comments:

angelica v said...

i am a bit of a technophobe, however, i love listening to cds, using my computer to write (and yes, even the internet:-) i also love being able to watch dvds of my fave tv shows or movies and i would definitely miss that even if its not something i do often. i wouldnt miss the computer voice answering services with the major companies though...i prefer people contact when possible.
as for the heatwave/ water issue i have to confess it (the heatwave) had me worried, in regards to thinking about how much we take forgranted (ie. water and how essential it is for life). its scary isnt it?
beautiful pic of "home" by the way. did you take it?

Eleni Konstantine said...

Hi Angelica,
Nice to have you drop in. the picture isn't mine - just something I found on the net (silly me forgot to attribute it). :)

Amanda said...

Love your sight Eleni!! Hmmm - well prior to my venturing into the world of blogging I would have said my mobile phone... now I would definitely be in big trouble without my trusty PC and internet connection!!

Amanda

Eleni Konstantine said...

Hi Amanda,
Thanks for dropping by. And I agree with you - cyberspace is such a part of my life now. The great thing is being able to feel like part of a community (particularly with other writers) even when geographically we can be so distanced. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...