Friday 3 September 2010

Book covers

And here a blog I prepared earlier....

For me a good book cover is a bonus when buying an author you know - you will buy the book if it has or hasn't got a good cover.

But how about those authors I don't know? I would have thought, no it doesn't make a difference. If I recognise the name (i.e.. have heard of the author but not read anything), it might not, but maybe it matters more to me than I thought. I'm a visual person so I love looking at artwork and of course an appealing book cover would make me more likely than not to pick up a book.

I have always tried to abide by 'don't judge a book by its cover' but who knows. Next time I'm at the library or the book store I might have to check what I do and do not look at, and how much the covers actually influence me. Though I don't think it has any influence on  me in category. But single title?

Some fab covers from writing friends:



  


 


   


 


Do covers influence you?

~yia

2 comments:

Shayne said...

Hi Eleni,
Recommendations from friends influence me the most.

But I love a good cover. I made a big mistake a couple of months ago when I bought an English chick-lit author's book on the strength of the cover. It was gorgeous - it had sparkles on it and (my brain is numb - what do you call it?) raised (embossed) title letters. Do you know what I mean? But her writing was dull as dishwater. I didn't even get half-way through the thing. Oh, the back cover blurb was also good - better than the book!

My advice is to go with recommendations from like-minded friends, read reviews and stick with authors you already know and love.

But I would've bought Amanda's book on the strength of that unreal cover!

Shayne

Eleni Konstantine said...

Hey Shayne - yes I follow recommendations too - as well as hearing authors speak (have a few authors listed as a result from RWAus and WorldCon). Actually went to an interesting panel on cover art for books from editor perspectives. It makes you realise how little the author has a say so it's always a bonus when the cover gods are smiling. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...