Sunday 11 May 2008

TBR Everest Pile

Yes, as the title implies my TBR (to be read) pile is as tall as Mt. Everest. Seriously. If I mount up every book I have in my physical TBR pile and every book on the list of to obtain via library/bookstore, I’m not kidding it’s that freakin’ high! And more are added daily. There are just too many authors and books that I want to read, and others I want to read for research. Where’s the pause button?!!!

Ever since I was a little girl, I’ve loved to read. It’s something I inherited from my Ma. Thing is, even though I tend to write fantasy/paranormal, I read across the board. And that’s a good thing, it helps me when I’m writing not to subconciously imitate who I’m reading (hopefully!) and try to keep to my own voice. Having said that, I think everything you read, influences you to some extent. But I digress. So I go from reading a fantasy author like C.E. Murphy to a crime author like Lisa Gardner to reading a category sweet romance author like Barbara Hannay to reading a graphic novel by Frank Miller to a non-fiction book like ‘Race to Dakar’ by Charlie Boorman. Vast – you bet!

But how do I pick what to read next? Sometimes it’s deadlines – eg have to return this book to the library, so I gotta read it. But most times it’s my mood. And I’m not talking happy/sad here. Just the mood for what type of book I want to read – am I in the mood for a high fantasy, an urban fantasy, a horror, a historical? I browse through the pile until I think – aha, that’s it. (Sure, it’s haphazard and I’ve realised that’s how I write too. I have no set time, no set days, I just do it when I can and it works for me.)

Seeing all those books has made me feel abit overwhelmed. So I’ve gone to the ‘one-to-two books at a time’ approach and not worry about the rest of the pile. Just enjoying the book of the moment. So I’m tackling the TBR One. Book. At. A. Time.

So what’s on my TBR list-(here’s a snapshot in case you were interested – of course in no particular order:)

  • Artemis Fowl – The Arctic Incident by Eoin Colfer
  • The Sheikh’s Conveninet Virgin by Trsh Morey
  • North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (loved the BBC mini-series)
  • The Third Victim by Lisa Gardner
  • Hood by Stephen L. Lawhead
  • Claiming the Courtesan by Anna Campbell
  • Night Embrace by Sherrilyn Kenyon
  • The Darkest Kiss by Keri Arthur (actually I have to pick up my order from the bookstore)
  • Diamonds Down Under series by various Australian and New Zealand authors
  • Star Dust by Neil Gaiman
  • The Inner Gentleman by Alli Kincaid
  • The Quickening series by Fiona McIntosh

And many many more....

So how do you manage your TBR pile? Is it piling higher and higher? Any tips you want to share?

16 comments:

Natalie Hatch said...

Go the shortest ones first. Stardust is short, and has a different ending than the movie. From there it's what ever mood takes your fancy. I've just finished my pile, and now have realised that I need to go find books on nautical adventures as my next novel is based on a research vessel.. any ideas of a good one?

Anna Campbell said...

Hiya Eleni! By the way, I love the Greek version of Helen. It's so pretty. Thank you for including my book on your TBR pile. Mine is almost as big as yours - and I keep adding to it. One of the problems about talking to other book fanatics is they always have something fantastic to recommend. And then there are all my fabulously talented published friends I need to keep up with. Borrowed books tend to get the first look-in, then things I'm just desperate to read. Then mood comes in to play as in how desperate I am for anything in particular - read a great Susan Elizabeth Phillips during the week called Heaven, Texas, because I was in an SEP mood, yanno? Right now, I'm reading a research book about the East India Company for the book I'm writing. Then it's going to be some fun with Annie West's story in the Mills and Boon centenary anthology, Mills and Boon Presents. I read THE BILLIONAIRE'S BOUGHT MISTRESS in draft form. Looking forward to checking out the final version and I always LOVE Annie's books.

Anonymous said...

I've given up having a TBR pile. I just don't have the energy to read as well as write full time. By the end of the day my eyes are too tired. If I go on holiday I have a readathon instead of writing, and I usually read a book a day for about a fortnight. It always amazes me how absorbing and pleasurable a good book is. My other reading comes from judging comp entries, and from critiquing. My husband always has his head stuck in a book so does the reading for both of us.

Eleni Konstantine said...

Natalie - I wish I could go shortest first but then all my fantasy books will be left lingering and lingering and lingering....poor things. So impressed that you have finished your TBR pile! Impressive. Nautical adventure book - ohoy there cap'n! - the only book that I've read in the past year is a fiction called 'Atlantis' by David Gibbins which was about marine archeologists - techno language abound. Email me privately if you would like to borrow it.

Eleni Konstantine said...

Hey Anna! Of course your book is in my TBR pile - i've heard such wonderful things and like you I like to read things by Aussie/NZ authors and friends. I so get adding more and more because of this and because of recommendations. And of course being in the right mood - yours was SEP, mine was C.E. Murphy with Coyote Dreams (book 3 in The Walker Papers). Your research sounds fascinating, and of course I have one of Annie's books on my TBR pile (see what I mean about a snapshot!). And am glad you like my name!

Eleni Konstantine said...

Janet - yes, I always wonder how I will go with the TBR pile once I get published (like the word 'once' *grin*). But like you I would find a way to still read - holidays, comps, CP work. And reading a book a day is impressive! Great that your hubby is doing his bit for the team! *grin*

Fiona G said...

Hi Eleni
I have a TBR bookshelf (set of 3 shelves) and its nearly full. And it keeps growing (WAIL). I no longer borrow books (after an awkward not reading and handing back episode), and my library card is languishing in my bag, never seeing the library. But I'm ploughing my way through the shelves, so fingers crossed. Then comes the hard decision - does it go on the Keeper Shelves, or does it need to find a new home.
Happy Reading
Fiona

Eleni Konstantine said...

Hey Fi - at least you can fit yours on 3 shelves. LOL - mine are everywhere! Good luck with getting through them. I'm a hoarder, so it's hard for me to let go of books. But will have to start because my bookshelves are now starting to overflow! *Sigh*

Kirralee Schmidt said...

I would have to say at least 60% of books on my bookshelf are TBR. I tend to find so many books I would like to read or own so I just buy them, regardless of whether I have the time.

Usually I tend to read the books that have a special meaning for me first (such as an author I know, a genre I'm interested in, etc). Others, like new authors come next. Then after that are the books I have no particular attachment to besides liking the sound of the blurb.

There's no particular pattern, often I go with what I feel like at the time.

Eleni Konstantine said...

Ah Kirralee - I'm exactly the same - I buy books even when I don't have time to read them. Phew, thank goodness I'm not the only one! A friend of mine has joked that she doesn't need to join a library because she can borrow from me! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Hi Helen,

I am of two minds... I would say read Trish's first because it was a really good read. But! I really want to borrow Anna Campbell's from someone so I am going to say read that one first.
I would be tempted to read fantasy if you think you are going to be writing any more any time soon. I don't know how much of a help I am but that always helps me. My TBR pile keeps getting misplaced. I am not allowed to keep the books in my room. My partner banned them cause they tend to make a mess so they are piling up in the baby's room and every time I go to the op shop or the local bookstore I end up with a few more. Every time my two year old goes into the baby's room she thinks they are toys so they get spread through the house.
I would always rather have too much to read rather than not enough.

Bronwyn.

Eleni Konstantine said...

Bronwyn, LOL! What a hint eh?! As for your TBR pile - seems like a challenge just keep track of where it is *grin* At least your 2 year old is already getting into books. And go ahead, try some fantasy and paranormal stories and let me know what you think. Hope you love 'em.

Michele Hauf said...

How much do I love Artemis Fowl? They so need to make a movie of those books. I wonder if there's a movie in progress?

Eleni Konstantine said...

Hey Michele - i've only read the first one and enjoyed it immensley. Love the humour in them. I just found the following site about a movie: http://www.themovieinsider.com/m337/artemis-fowl/
Looks like it's still in the screenplay stage.

Amanda said...

Love your blog... thank you for your lovely words to me...hmmm - my pile - sigh - I am really boring, my just gets shuffled up off the floor beside my bed to vaccuum and popped back again in the hope I will get a few pages in!!

Unfortunately - I add more to the pile before I read... I am not sure what I plan to achieve by doing that - the pile just becomes more daunting!! SOO I don't have anything great to add re reducing Mount Everest!!!

Amanda

Eleni Konstantine said...

LOL! I understand the shuffling of the books around. In my room, in my study, on the bookshelves, in the library bag! Never-ending. One step at a time, one step at a time -- my new mantra. *grin*

Glad you like the blog and of course, it was my pleasure to pop by your blog to say a few comforting words.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...